This Year we will be hosting a special celebration of 200+ years of an historical presence in West Granby, Connecticut!
The congregation of the West Granby United Methodist Church traces its history back almost to the beginnings of Methodism in this country. The Methodist Episcopal Church was formally born at the Christmas Conference at the Lovely Lane Chapel in Baltimore in 1784. In 1799, two women walked over Broad Hill in West Granby to the North Canton Methodist church where a circuit rider was preaching. They convinced him to add West Granby to his circuit, which he did. The first services were held in a barn. How fitting that the West Granby Church has a barn on its property today! The first church building was constructed in the early 1800’s at the corner of Simsbury and Firetown roads. In 1845, a new structure was raised in the center of the village of West Granby. That building served its congregation well until our current church was built in 1975 about a half a mile to the south next to Holcomb Farm. The construction of these modern facilities was made possible through the generosity of the Holcomb family, as well as the gifts of many members and friends of the church.